St John’s Anglican Church, Newcastle
Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers from St Johns Church including parish censuses.
Mindful of Newcastle’s growing mining population, a group of generous Australian Agricultural Company benefactors provided finance for the construction, between 1856 and 1860, of a new complex of buildings in Parry Street, of which St John’s Church was the principal structure, together with a school room and parsonage. St John’s is now recognised as the oldest Anglican Church building, still extant, in the Newcastle district. It is included on the National Estate Register and is also subject to a Permanent Conservation Order under the NSW State Heritage Act. This publication includes a short history of St John’s.
Part 1: provides a chronological database of baptisms occurring between 1887 and 1912. The baptisms are indexed by both the name of the child and the name of the parents.
Part 2: provides a chronological database of a full transcription of the marriages between 1887 and 1962 and includes parents, witnesses and occupations where they were provided. The marriages are indexed by the names of the bridge and groom.
Part 3: provides a chronological database of burial services performed between 1887 and 1982. The burials are indexed.
Part 4: contains a list of the inhabitants of 756 households, regardless of religious persuasion, living within the parish in 1871.