People of Newcastle and the Hunter Valley – Volume I
$35.00 – $50.00
Format: B&W BOOK or Colour BOOK
A collection of 50 stories of individuals buried in Sandgate Cemetery.
This publication arose from the Newcastle Family History Society’s successful Sandgate Cemetery tours which began in 2016 revealing tales of service, both military and civil, religious belief and success over hardship. Stories cover those from the ranks of the great and grand to the quieter-living folk who nonetheless left their mark on our region.
The editors of this work came to the realisation that stories from the Sandgate tours were too important to lose. It was decided to seek stories not only about those at Sandgate, but also those whose last resting place was in the wider region of the Hunter Valley. It would not have been possible to complete this project without the co-operation, and assistance of many people including members of the NFHS Inc., and the general public who contributed their stories to these volumes.
Volume I contains 50 stories covering a wide range of individuals. Included are military heroes, early pioneers and business people. Within the covers you will read about:
• the unfortunate outcome of a visit to the cinema to see Clark Gable in A Night to Remember
• the story of the Wagnerian artist who rose from humble beginnings to strut the world stage and sing with Nellie Melba
• the photographer who has left an amazing legacy which records so much of our past
• a displaced person from the devastation of the Europe of 1945 who lost his life here in an industrial accident just months after his arrival
• and a boxing hero who fought under the name of a fan, filled the Victoria Theatre and is remembered with a star in the walkway at the shopping centre on the site of the old stadium.
Each of the stories is of someone important, some important only to their families while others important to many. We hope you enjoy reading them all.